Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.  Also, I notice that Tom mentioned after_user_create in 
another message.

What you mention would work, except that I don't want to do those things until 
after the activate.  That is, I don't want to be exposed to a Denial of 
Service Attack by someone just registering a whole bunch of email addresses, 
without ever activating any of them.

For that matter, I don't think that the user object should be created until 
the activate stage.  The implications of this is that we need the Guest model 
to be backed by a table and had a life cycle that captures the activation key.  
When I get a bit more time, I will flesh out this idea a bit more and present 
it here before attempting an implementation.

Regards,
Henry

On August 31, 2009 01:36:59 pm kevinpfromnm wrote:
> I the after create you don't want to use current user or acting user
> which isn't really correct.  You want self - the new user model.
> Assuming you're doing this in the model.
>
> On Aug 28, 11:05 am, Henry Baragar <[email protected]>
>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need to update some tables in my database when somebody signs up as a
> > user.
> >
> > Originally, I had the updates in the User::after_create.  However, the
> > current user at that point is guest and is prohibited from updating those
> > records by the hobo permission system.
> >
> > So, I moved the updates to the to activate step of the User lifecycle.
> >  The updates still failed because the the active_user is still Guest.
> >
> > This got me to thinking.  Is the person using the application considered
> > to be authenticated if he/she can successfully activate a User?
> > If so, how come the acting_user is not set (to self) in the activate
> > step? If not, how come the person is not redirected to the login page?
> > Thoughts?
> > A related question:  if I lose my activation key, how can I get it back
> > or restart the process?  Do I have to ask the administrator to remove my
> > User record?
> > A little bit more off topic:  If I ask for a password reset and go in and
> > reset may password, can someone who has found my password_reset key (e.g.
> > from reading my email) be able to reuse the key to change my password and
> > get control of my User?
> > Regards,
> > Henry
> >
> > --
> >
> > Henry Baragar
> > Instantiated Software
>
> 
-- 

Henry Baragar
Instantiated Software

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hobo 
Users" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/hobousers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to