on 10/7/12 4:50 AM, Bill Richter <rich...@math.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> Mark, since this is an HOL newsgroup, can you say something about how
> you're going to do this?  Why is your classic "LCF-style" interactive
> theorem prover going to be better than HOL Light & miz3, which is not
> suitable yet for such quick and trivial formalising?

Above the low level stuff (the inference kernel, the parser/printer, the
derivation of its low-level inference rules), it will be implemented in a
completely different way to the existing systems.  I don't expect anyone to
believe me in how effective it will be until I've actually implemented it
and

> I thought a little about why I mean by the "trivial" stuff I want the
> proof assistant to do.  Perhaps this is exactly what miz3 does.
> Suppose I have a line
>
> STATEMENT by R1, R2, ..., Rn;
>
> miz3 ought to check this, I hazily imagine, by: ...
>
> Perhaps a more rudimentary proof assistant ought to require the user
> to specify how to substitute our defined variables for the free
> variables in the theorems.  ....

I intend to cater for both the declarative style (i.e. stating the result of
the step) and the imperative style (i.e. stating what operation to apply
next), and a mixture of both.  I think that this is a huge subject that has
not been properly explored yet by existing systems.

Mark.