Mark wrote:
> on 9/7/12 5:48 PM, Cris Perdue <c...@perdues.com> wrote:

>> What I was talking about though is ease of use of software products,
>> and a proof assistant is definitely a software product. To get many
>> people to use a software product, especially one that is not just a
>> minor variation on one they know, it has to be amazingly simple to
>> use.  This of course will be a huge challenge for this kind of technology.
>>

> Actually I don't think it's particularly difficult to do.  It's just that
> no-one's done it yet!

Actually I think it is probably extraordinarily difficult.  I recall a
comment made about certain sorts of user interfaces (actually it was
about GUIs but I think equally applicable to a certain style or
philosophy of designing user interfaces for complicated software), that
they "make easy tasks easy and difficult tasks impossible".

Theorem proving is a difficult task - or, more to the point - when you
break it down into its myriad of subtasks, they are all different.  The
tool that does them all will not be "amazingly simple to use"

Jeremy