Hi Mario,

I don't mind the question, but the answer may not be much use because it's a comparison between the 2005 version of Isabelle which I use and HOL4.

In terms of the type systems they are identical.

Isabelle has schematic variables and type classes, both of which can make proof easier. Otherwise, I don't find major differences.

Turning to modern day Isabelle - other factors may be:

- the extent of unnecessarily incompatible changes between one version of Isabelle and the next (which is in fact why I'm still using the 2005 version, when I'm not using HOL)

- the difficulty of using ML to program complex proof tactics - mandatory for a small proportion of my work (I've had various and highly conflicting reports of whether this is possible or reasonably easy in current Isabelle)

- documentation, and willingness of developers to help with questions (and for me, location at GMT+10 means I can often get an immediate answer)

In HOL4 the source code is effectively available for users to look at (in Isabelle they can look at it, but it - or a lot of it - is highly obfuscated).

Cheers,

Jeremy