The printed manual [Gordon and Melham, 1993, pp. 191–232] (ISBN: 0-521-44189-7)
is the definite source:

Part III: The HOL Logic [Gordon and Melham, 1993, pp. 191–232]. “Part III
presents the logic supported by HOL (‘The HOL Logic’). It consists of two
chapters: an informal introduction and a formal set-theoretic semantics
(written by Andrew Pitts).” [Gordon and Melham, 1993, p. xv] In an email to the
author, Andrew Pitts confirmed that originally he wrote the material in the
file available online, which contains both (!) chapters.

        http://owlofminerva.net/files/fom_2018.pdf
<http://owlofminerva.net/files/fom_2018.pdf> (direct link), footnote 2
        http://doi.org/10.4444/100.111 <http://doi.org/10.4444/100.111>
(persistent link)

An updated version is available for download at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hol/files/hol/kananaskis-13/kananaskis-13-logic.pdf

<http://sourceforge.net/projects/hol/files/hol/kananaskis-13/kananaskis-13-logic.pdf>

For terms see pp. 17 ff. (section 1.3).

As mentioned earlier, I would propose to make the most recent PDF file
accessible online (without having to download) at a link such as:

        https://hol-theorem-prover.org/logic.pdf
<https://hol-theorem-prover.org/logic.pdf>

Kind regards,

Ken Kubota