On 7/11/2012, at 11:20 AM, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Andrew McGregor <andrewm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recursive PD seems to inherently need some administrative input.  BTW, our
>> switch implementation can do either.
>
> I don't see what admin input it requires.   The CPE edge router knows it's
> got a delegation, and signals to adjacent routers that it can act as a
> delegating router.   Routers that get /64 delegations know that they can't
> act as delegating routers, and instead act as relays to the CPE edge router.
>  This can all be done automatically.

But that's single-delegating-router, not recursive.  The problem with recursive
is figuring out what prefix length a sub-delegating router is going to ask for
from its upstream.  For a single-delegating-router setup, you just ask for
either a bunch of /64s or something that just contains enough of those to cover
all your downstream interfaces.  In a recursive situation, you don't know what
you will need further downstream.

Andrew