Well, draft-pritikin-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-01 describes a way to
bootstrap a certificate infrastructure, zero touch. Once every device in a
domain has a domain certificate, two devices can directly authenticate each
other, without PSK. Then you can also authenticate a key negotiation scheme
such as IKE, to negotiate a PSK which you can then use in your "normal"
authentication scheme. Obviously, would be nice if protocol supported certs
directly, but it's not required.

I still think that the above draft is a very good way to bootstrap a
certificate infrastructure, which can be leveraged in many different ways.

Michael