> 1) I don't know where the "2 separate implementation" concept is
> embedded formally in the ietf structures for approval.

It isn't, for Proposed Standard status, although historically the
Routing Area has been tougher than the rest of the IETF because of
reasonable concern that a faulty routing protocol can produce more
horrible failure modes than pretty much anything else.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4794 may clarify a bit.

For advancement to Internet Standard there is a requirement
for 2 implementations but that is not germane to the current
discussion. (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6410)

Sigh. It's embarassing how baroque the IETF process documents
have become, but it would be a lot of uninspiring work to
clean them up. That's why I've been maintaining this page for
a few years now: http://www.ietf.org/about/process-docs.html
(And yes, I'm aware it's overdue for an update.)

  Brian