On 29/06/2015 01:09, Pierre Pfister wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Le 28 juin 2015 à 10:58, Gert Doering <g...@space.net> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 11:48:43PM +0200, Pierre Pfister wrote:
>>> Relaxing the « administrator » may be confusing, as Brian said.
>>> So I guess the MUST could become a SHOULD, which imply it requires
>>> implementers to fully understand the drawbacks
>>> of using non-64 prefix lengths. For instance, /127 could be automatically
>>> used (no need for administrator) if a link
>>> is auto-detected as point-to-point.
>>
>> A MUST is perfectly right here.  You can't have implementation A decide
>> "let's use a /64 here" while implementation B goes for "/127"…
>
> You actually can have implementations with different prefix length.
> This is handled by the prefix assignment algorithm.

Yes, you need that ability in the protocol, but it won't work in practice
to pick an oddball like /80 unless all the host stacks on the link can
handle a shorter IID like 48 (whether it's a LAN or a pt2pt). RFC 7421.

> You may have multiple routers with multiple prefix lengths, but one single
> prefix is ultimately chosen and used by all routers connected to the link.

So will it work if one router on a pt2pt expects to use a /127 and the other
one can only support /64?

    Brian