On 17/08/2015 11:01, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

>> Why do we care? Homenets need to be renumbering-proof anyway, because
>> the ISP might change the prefix anytime.
>
> You're right, that deserves clarifying.  We're trying really hard to make
> sure that in no circumstances is running a Homenet router worse than
> running an ordinary NAT/DHCPv6-PD router.  Consider the following trivial
> topology:
>
>     ISP ---- Homenet router ---- stub link
>
> We'd like to ensure that:
>
>   - the NATed IPv4 prefix assigned to the stub link remains stable;
>   - if the /56 delegated by the ISP is stable, then the global /64
>     assigned to the stub link remains stable;
>   - if the Homenet router is announcing a ULA, then the ULA /64 assigned
>   - to the stub link remains stable.
>
> In short, we'd like any prefix assignments performed by the Homenet router
> to survive a reboot, even in the absence of either explicit configuration
> or stable storage.

That may be desirable, but must not be depended on. The homenet architecture
is explicit on pp 25-26 that renumbering is an expected event:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7368#page-26
The addressing, routing and naming architecture has to be ready for
renumbering at any time. Anything else is broken.

    Brian