Hi,

Response to a couple messages at once:

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 08:09:24PM +0100, Ray Bellis wrote:

> It's RFC 6761, and the process is suspended (AIUI) by the IESG.
[…]

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 03:35:16PM -0400, Ralph Droms wrote:

> As Ray mentioned, the RFC 6761 process was suspended after the
>publication of RFC 7686 and the designation of .onion as a Special
>Use Domain Name, due to the length of the discussion in dnsop and the
>IETF as a whole
[…]
>  What will change is the official standardization of .home as an
> implicit Special-Use Domain Name, which has not been put through the
> RFC 6761 process.

I just want to make sure that the basic fact doesn't get lost here,
because I think some people may be noticing what I think are the wrong
things in the above and other messages in this thread.

RFC 6761 specifies what you have to do if you're going to carve out
part of the Internet's global name space for protocol-specific needs.
There are indeed some concerns about how that works, particularly at
the top of the global name space (i.e. to create a TLD-like-thing,
even if it's never supposed to appear in the DNS).

But the real problem here is that RFC 7788 doesn't do any of what is
in RFC 6761 _at all_, despite apparently attempting to reserve a name
in the namespace.  I am one of the people who failed to catch this
fault before publication of 7788, and for that I apologise.  But let
us not misunderstand that this is some sort of ICANN or IESG desire to
throw sand in gears.  The IANA considerations of RFC 7788 is wrong: it
doesn't include the necessary reservation request.  That's the bug.

I will note, also, that AFAICT the IESG has not issued a blanket
policy about 6761 requests.  It is worried about how to do duch
reservations in the root name space.

There is an already-functioning namespace that is fully capable of
handling these kinds of requests, and one that is under IAB control:
arpa.  There is ample evidence that it already works: ipv4only.arpa.
Rather than getting twisted 'round a TLD axle, it strikes me that
there is a quick and easy path forward, and one that appears
impervious to application fees.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com