> On Dec 12, 2016, at 5:14 PM, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
>
> On Dec 12, 2016, at 4:56 PM, james woodyatt <j...@google.com> wrote:
>> I would strongly prefer that we avoid the risks above by using a
>> special-purpose subdomain of a gTLD owned by IETF. I don’t really care which
>> gTLD we use, and if “arpa” is really the only reasonable choice, then so be
>> it. However, I can imagine a world where the Working Group decides that
>> “arpa” is unacceptable for whatever reason and decides that it’s better to
>> wait until IETF has another domain with a better name. And I’m not ready to
>> tell them I think that would be a very bad idea.
>
> Remember that if we allocated some subdomain like .arpa, we would face a
> different procedural problem with ICANN that would almost certainly take a
> similar amount of time to resolve.

Ted - I agree that a new SUDN (.alt? draft-ietf-dnsop-alt-tld-06) would face
procedural issues, although not (in my opinion) with ICANN.  We have .arpa as a
precedent and designating .alt as an SUDN is strictly an IETF matter ...
assuming appropriate notification to and consultation with ICANN.  The point is
that we have the procedure with ICANN in place, whereas an insecure delegation
for .homenet has no such process.

One of the issues that (again, strictly my opinion) that has held up
draft-ietf-dnsop-alt-tld-06 is the lack of a real use case as motivation for
progressing a designation of .alt.  Perhaps now, with a name for homenet under
.alt, we have both a use case and a generalized solution to motivate
designation of .alt

- Ralph