> Why? What is wrong with the owner of the network selecting which devices
> / services he/she wants globally reachable

I don't think this is about global reachability (which is hopefully managed
by PCP), it's about exporting names into the global DNS.  We ought to
distinguish the two -- you can be remotely reachable without publishing
your name in the DNS.

> without each device/service having to implement (and be configured for)
> an external naming provider?

Roughly 100% of Homenet devices don't need a name in the global DNS --
neither SIP, nor Skype, nor BitTorrent, nor syncthing, nor anything else
that normal people run in their home relies on the DNS for locating remote
peers.

In the rare case where a device needs to be in the global DNS (and the
only case I can see is that of a web server), I'd much rather configure
that on the device itself than on the buggy web interface of my
ISP-provided CPE (or, even worse, "in the cloud").

-- Juliusz