Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> writes:

> I suppose a point to be investigated is that however roaming happens,
> unless all packets are flooded to all links, the layer 2 switch always
> triggers a routing change, whether at layer 2 or layer 3.
>
> So it might be worth doing an analysis of the pros and cons of L2 versus L3
> roaming. I know Dave Täht has looked into doing it at L3 at the host, but
> that isn’t practical and is in any case out of scope for homenet. What is
> easier if it’s done at L2?  At L3?

Yeah; off the top of my head: getting the address to distribute is
easier at L2 (it's built in to the WiFi handshake), and there's only one
of them; but distributing it (them) once you know it may be easier (or
more efficient) at L3. Assuming you already have a decent layer 3
routing protocol available, of course (which is why it makes sense to
solve it in a homenet context) :)

L3 also has the advantage that it can aggregate lots of host routes into
a covering prefix, so fewer routes when no one is roaming; but when
clients do roam, you mostly have to announce host routes anyway, so in
the worst case we get back to "one route per address"... A longer
analysis would probably be needed to assess performance in the worst
case.

-Toke