On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:40:46 -0600, "Timothy A. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:
> [John Williams's] movie scores almost always are immediately accessible, but also
> bear
> repeated listening, unlike some other popular composers.  On the other
> hand,
> his concert works seem to require repeated hearings before I can really
> appreciate them.

I bet a lot of John Williams's music that is in the background (behind
dialog, etc.) is a little less "accessible" too. Composing for film is
different because there are two distinct kinds of music: music you are
supposed to notice and music you *aren't* supposed to notice. Concert
music doesn't work the same way.

Greg

                          unladen european swallow