Dear Friends,

OK, I'm back home after band rehearsal.

The tidbit about Saint-Saens as the 1st composer of an original movie score came from Episode No. 75, titled "Schickele Mix: The Movie," in Peter Schickele's long-running series of musically informative & entertaining "Schickele Mix" programs on National Public Radio. You can view the play list for Episode 75 on the Internet at...

http://lee.mybravenet.com/Schickele_Mix/SM_75.htm

The complete Schickele Mix program list, with links to the corresponding play lists, can be viewed on the Internet at...

http://lee.mybravenet.com/Schickele_Mix/SM_programs.htm

While you're at it, you can check out the main page of Lee Withers's unofficial Schickele Mix web site, on the Internet at...

http://thrill.to/schickelemix

The official Schickele Mix web site is available to anyone interested at...

http://www.schickele.com/mix/index.htm

Unsurprisingly, that Schickele Mix web page is linked to Professor Peter Schickele's main web site, where he is identified, among other attributes, as a "musicolologist." That web site can be viewed at...

http://www.schickele.com/

The semi-subliminal quiz clues I gave were (1) mentioning hearing about Saint-Saens as the original film score composer on the radio, & (2) using Peter Schickele's whimsical term "musicolologist." (Obviously those were clues to the source of the information, not to the information itself. Plus, I accidentally misspelled "musicolologist" as "musicalologist." That's because I like "musicalologist" better. But that's my problem.)

Schickele Mix has been out of production for a couple of years now, which is too bad. Even worse, the re-runs are no longer aired on the public radio stations around here. Even though all the Shickele Mix broadcasts now are "encore presentations," if the network happens to air an old episode I haven't heard yet, it's as good as a brand-new program to me, also to you if you haven't heard it yet.

If you can't get Schickele Mix over the air, maybe you can tune in on your computer via the Internet. If you want to check out that possibility, go to...

http://www.publicradiofan.com/

...where you can look up not only Schickele Mix but also Karl Haas's "Adventures In Good Music" & anything else from public radio that you might like to hear via Internet.

If all else fails, you can try to arrange tape swaps with people who surreptitiously recorded old Schickele Mix programs off the air. If that has any appeal for you, E-Mail me privately (off the list) & I'll see about putting you in touch with a surreptitious Schickele Mix tape recording person.

To all who participated in the quiz, thank you very much.

To all who forgave me for that earlier crass & unseemly attempt at a witticism about the non-destruction of the Yamaha factory, thank you even more. Getting kicked off the list would have made me sad. I'm glad I'm still on.

-- Alan Cole, rank amateur
   McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.