Elizabeth:

Plenty of good horn players get good results playing Holtons. (Ditto not-so-good horn players.) So go with what works best for you & don't be overconcerned with the opinions of others. What works best for them may or may not work best for you.

When selecting a horn to buy, wouldn't it be interesting to do a testing process roughly equivalent to blind auditions? Instead of seeing or being told what kind of horn you're picking up & getting ready to blow, you're semi-blindfolded -- i.e., you can see the music in front of you but not the horn or anything else below the sight-line of the music stand. An assistant inserts the mouthpiece & hands the horn to you in playing position. You have no visual cues to suggest whether you're playing a top-line custom Yamaha or an el-cheapo Brand-X. You form your impressions solely on how the horn feels, how it sounds, & how it responds.

In short, do you suppose there is a placebo effect associated with the top-name horns, when you know that's what you're playing?

Now, if you can get just get your horn teacher to help you make your selection, you could be miles ahead in the whole process. Your horn teacher's opinion is the 1 that should influence you most.

-- Alan Cole, rank amateur
   McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.