From:   Paul Mansur [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Tuesday, March 30, 2004 12:43 PM
To:     The Horn List
Subject:        Re: [Hornlist] Factory Defects and Horn Brands

On Tuesday, March 30, 2004, at 09:55 AM, Elizabeth E. Crane wrote:

> After doing a
> lot of comparing and contrasting, I liked the Holton 178
> best.  It just seemed to have the best sound and tone of
> the ones that I played.  I actually thought that I was
> going to like the large throat horns more than the medium
> throat, but it turned out to be the opposite.

I think the 178 is a large throat horn; same as the 179.   The medium
throat Farkas brass horn is a 176.   The size of throat opening is a
minor difference.  If you like a horn, it is probably ok, provided it
plays in tune for you;  or rather that you can play it in tune.  Don't
buy a horn you don't like.  What I play is completely irrelevant to
your choice.

Cheers,  Mansur's Answers

set your options at
http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/arsmiley%40usadatanet.net