Cheers

P.S. York make the best tenor horns about the place nowadays =]

Sent from my iPod

On 5 May 2009, at 08:18 PM, "CI" <c...@mayhews.us> wrote:

   Most tenor horns are, as you say, shithooks. There are, however, a
couple of manufacturers that do make good ones that can be played with good intonation, but I don't now remember the brands as it has been many years since I've played a tenor horn in the brass band. I used a shank adaptor and played on my regular horn mouthpiece to the chagrin of the purists in the group, but I was not about to ruin my horn playing. When I had an important
horn rehearsal or concert, I refused to play in the brass band the day
before so I didn't mess up my horn.

Loren Mayhew, Owner
Computer Intelligence LLC, dba
CI Music
c...@mayhews.us
www.mayhews.us/CI/Finke
001 (520) 289-0700

-----Original Message-----
From: horn-bounces+loren=mayhews...@music.memphis.edu
[mailto:horn-bounces+loren=mayhews...@music.memphis.edu] On Behalf Of
lewho...@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 8:52 AM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] New Amsterdam Brass Band and the Tenor Horn

Thank you Lawrence for your very insightful remarks on British Brass Bands.

I was invited to play Tenor in a newly established band in the Detroit area,
and I did one concert with the group. I can tell everyone that the
intonation on the Tenor Horn is horrendous! In this particular band, the
Solo Tenor Horn player also is an accomplished hornist, and during the
rehearsal we kept putting our heads together to get alternate fingerings to get as Hans describes the Tenor Horn (in English) as a shithook, lol. Now I
know why he calls them that! I also can relate that the next day, my
slotting was off due to the differences of the mouthpiece. It was that fact
that persuaded me not to pursue playing any longer on a "shithook"!

I still enjoy the sound of a British Brass Band, and I am in the process of hiring a very good one for a 65th Anniversary concert of D-Day for the city
that I am priviledged to serve as a member of the city's cultural
commission.

Walt Lewis
Walt