This version looks great and yes we should move on to implement it.

I am in general quite satisfied of the Task Manager and we have already 
discussed of some enhancements that could make it even more powerful. 

Two points in this version that could proabably be modified to give more 
control to the coordinators and experienced mappers over the control of the 
jobs. From my experience coordinating various Activations with the Tasking 
Manager, I see two elements in particular where inexperienced people cause 
problems in managing the Task manager job. We have already tried to find 
solutions for these. From the feedback using these functionalities, I think 
that we will continue to progress to a more robust Task Manager.

1. Validation
I am also of the opinion that we should rethink this function. There are other 
ways to validate, and letting anybody validate do not assure a good validation 
process. Plus there is the Invalidate button.  The problem we are faced with, 
with the Validation function is that we cannot Invalidate the Validation. 

If we keep the Validation step, we could assure that once the task status has 
moved to Validated, mappers do still have access to this task
a. to see info for this task in JOSM
b. To invalidate the task if this is incomplete. This way if an inexperience 
mapper click successively on a task, we are still able to Invalidate the task
 
2. Split function
I suspect that new mappers do not know well sometime where to click and 
sometimes endup dividing tasks in tiny, tiny ones that are not easily 
manageable.  A more descriptive button for Split plus a bubble note describing 
the Split function, would assure a better interaction with the software.

Other then that, I have to say that the Task Manger is a great tool for 
mapping. The experience in november with the Philippines Activation shows our 
capacity to escalate and coordinate well with this tool. assure that we cover 
systematically large zones with various workfows.  We have mapped two our three 
times more then for the Haiti Earthquake in 2010.

A great thank Pierre for this and I hope that we will have the opportunity in 
2014 to continue to improve this excellent tool.

 
Pierre 



________________________________
 De : Mikel Maron <[email protected]>
À : Pierre GIRAUD <[email protected]>; HOT Openstreetmap 
<[email protected]> 
Envoyé le : Lundi 3 février 2014 8h46
Objet : Re: [HOT] Tech WG - tasking manager - workflow branch
 


Pierre

Thanks for the update, great to hear about the progress and new UI features. 

So I'm clear, you're talking about merging 
https://github.com/pgiraud/osm-tasking-manager/tree/workflow
into https://github.com/hotosm/osm-tasking-manager
?

And by v2, are we talking about this version?
https://github.com/pgiraud/osm-tasking-manager2


On validation, I agree it needs a rethink. There is definitely a need for 
validation in some form. But I'd hesitate to remove functionality, the current 
validation without replacing it with something else. I suggest we keep it for 
now, and move on discussion of what this should really look like.
 
-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron



On Sunday, February 2, 2014 1:48 PM, Pierre GIRAUD <[email protected]> 
wrote:
 
Hi all,
>
>
>It's been a while now that I've started working on a "workflow" branch (more 
>than a year ago). The main purpose of this development was to improve the user 
>experience by simplifying the interface a bit.
>
>
>This branch is the one used for the instance working at 
>http://tasks2.hotosm.org.
>
>I'm now confident and I think that it's ready. I would now like to merge the 
>work into the master branch and update the main instance. It will also 
>eventually allow us to remove this second instance. I will do my best to 
>retrieve the data as well.
>
>
>For those who don't know yet, in addition to user interface modification, the 
>main enhancement is deep linking ie. links to tasks in a read only mode. This 
>allow users to share a link to the task they are working on for example.
>I also got rid of the "validation" process because it has been the source of 
>problems recently. Let's rethink this feature if we really need it. People 
>still can invalidate tasks though.
>
>
>If no one is fiercely against i, I'll do the merge later this week.
>
>
>This will help me give an answer to Mikel and others who were asking me how 
>much work is left to get v1 functionnalities in v2.
>
>
>Regards,
>Pierre
>
>-- 
>-------------------------------------------------------------
>  | Pierre GIRAUD
>------------------------------------------------------------- 
>_______________________________________________
>HOT mailing list
>[email protected]
>https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
>
>
>

_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot

Reply via email to