From: nicolas chavent <nicolas.chav...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: [CrisisMappers] Do you have hands-on experience flying UAVs &
quadcopters?
To: crisismappers <crisismapp...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Patrick Meier <patr...@irevolution.net>, Frederic Moine <
frmo...@gmail.com>

Hi Andrew, Patrick and all,

Thanks for intervening in this thread, all credits/ expertise on this UAV
experiment got to Fred Moine who had been organizing as an individual
(outside of the USAID>OTI>HRI_funded mapping project (CAP_103) HOT designed
and implemented with local Haitian OSM Ggroups and Individuals (COSMHA,
COSMHA-STM) in Norther Haiti working closely with HRI, and (for our great
pleasur you and other from USAID, Chad, Shadrocks). I had not been possible
to include the UAV component in the funded activities of the USAID>OTI>HRI
funded_supported mapping projects CAP_103. HOT was not in a position at
that time to operate UAV since the policy around this cutting_edge and new
technique for high_res imagery collection was at its early edges and in the
making; uncertainty linked to the liability of the organization (flying/
producs) being an area where the bases of knowledge was not mature/firm
enough for engaging he Organization.

Really,  Frederic Moine, humble, low profile, hard_worker and tenacious
(with CERN right now and is associated as a volunteeras, in France with
CartONG <http://www.cartong.org>, a leading GIS/Mapping NGO in France,
tenacious has been behind the use of UAV in Haiti mostly in coordination
with IOM and for one mission (the Association Drone Adventures DA). Fred
has worked in real conditions in the immediate aftermath of Trop Storm
Sandy in Haiti/PAP ("Rivière Grise" area), he had also operated with DA and
IOM and individuals from local OSM Groups in Haiti in North and Northern
Haiti in Prepardness/Prevention activities. Mapping involving UAV is still
on-going. The last pres from Fred, I can recall was at UNOSAT/JRC workshop
in Geneva
[workshop<http://www.unitar.org/amazing-technological-solutions-presented-unosat-partners-jrc-co-host-workshop-unmanned-aerial-syste>]
where he presented his astonishing work. I let Fred adding to this thread.

At Patrick, looking forward to reading your pieces once you will have
digested all inputs, what form are you planning to use : blog posts, white
papers and/or project documents. Also given the fact that this is really a
new but necessary and promising area of work for Hum/Dev actors, it would
be great if you can give us more details about what it is that you are
after. It may also the occasion for practitioners involved in this forum to
collectively list key_up_to_date resources, projects and goods/bads as well
as dos/dont.

Happy to read about your engagement in UAV Patrick as well as the answers
you are getting wich seem the right level of interest for this technique
which will soon be a classic_simple data collection tool within the tool
box of IM/GIS folks of the Hum/Dev

Best to all,
Nico

Nicolas Chavent