Hello all, thank you for your thoughts.

I will take a look and discuss with the team. Whatever we decide I will
post on the wikiprojectCAR page of the wiki, so feel free to feedback on
our decision!

reference_point=yes could be very interesting for a lot of the landmarks
people use in the contexts we are field mapping. I will investigate
further...

A+

Pete

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Jaakko Helleranta.com <
jaa...@helleranta.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> --
> jaa...@helleranta.com * Skype: jhelleranta * Mobile: +505-8131-0729
> (Nicaragua)
> * Voice(mail) / SMS: +1-202-730-9778 * http://about.me/jaakkoh
>
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Severin Menard <severin.men...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pete,
>>
>> I agree with both Thomas and Michael's usggestions regarding
>> amenity=place_of_worship and amenity=townhall
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Michael Heißmeier <
>> michae...@digital-filestore.de> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hello Pete,
>>>
>>>  Some important landmarks in Bangassou are the catholic missions (of
>>> which there are at least two), prayer houses (of which there are many)
>>> and chief's houses (one for every quartier / village etc). Prayer
>>> houses are not churches and cannot be tagged as such as they fulfill
>>> very different roles, socially and culturally. However, they also are
>>> heavily used by local people to navigate the town / villages. Does
>>> anyone have any idea (or previous experience) of how these might be
>>> best tagged?
>>>

>>> As Thomas already pointed out in his answer you might consider using
>>> amenity=place_of_worship as this is not exclusively reserved for churches.
>>> The OSM wiki has this paragraph concerning that key
>>>
>>> If the place of religious services is located in a *part of a
>>> multi-purpose building*, then the tag amenity
>>> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity>=*place_of_worship*
>>> should be placed on a node or area, inside the building outline. Examples
>>> are prayer rooms in public buildings or rooms rented for religious purposes
>>> in commercial buildings.
>>>
>>> If the prayer house serves more like a cultural or social centre, using
>>> amenity=community_centre sounds like a viable alternative.
>>>
>>>  Also, the chief's houses are definitely landmarks, but also are
>>> important places socially (kind of like a local administration
>>> office). However, they are also private residences. Many have a sign
>>> outside with the name of the chief and the quartier etc, but many do
>>> not. How can this be handled? Is it a consent issue with the chiefs?
>>>

>>> I am tempted to suggest using amenity=townhall. Reading the wiki:
>>>
>>> Use this for a village, town or city *townhall*, a building where the
>>> administration of a village, town or city may be located, or it may just
>>> serve as a community meeting place .
>>>
>>> A townhall is not necessarily used (or having ever been used) for
>>> administrative function. The tag is also used for a "village hall",
>>> commonly in UK villages, and used for community events such as fundraising
>>> and Discos.
>>>

>>> Apparently, the administrative function is not a requirement for this
>>> tag.
>>>
>>>  Secondly, admin divisions...
>>>
>>> We are very close to having shapes for the the quartiers in Bangassou
>>> town. I know that the tag admin_level should be used, but how do I

>>> Prefecture
>>> Sub-prefecture
>>> Town/village
>>> Arrondisement (only in the town itself - not in villages)
>>> Quartier
>>>

>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative
>>> proposes admin_level=10 for a quartier in CAR
>>>

>>> I was just browsing the wiki, but have no prior experience concerning
>>> these topics. Hope this helps nevertheless.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>>

>>> *Michael (osm:michael63) *

*Pete Masters*
Missing Maps Project Coordinator