Hi Rupert,

I can not say for sure, but maybe you have to download the JSON and then convert that to a shapefile.

JOSM can't open geojson files so you would need to use a website like:

http://geojson.io/

To convert the json file to shp.

That is my guess at least from reading the directions, it sounds like maybe the previous version of the field papers website supported shp files but the current version uses geojson instead.

Regards,
blake