Hi Rupert,

The technique I was using during my last field trips was :
- download the geojson file,
- open it in JOSM,
- write the letters and numbers of reference (of your field papers)
manually within the rectangles,
- save your layer as gpx file,
- upload it into your osmand folder.
And it was actually working very well here.

Best,

Claire

ps: In JOSM it will require the open data plugin.

Claire Halleux
+243 81 611 6998 (Kinshasa, DRC)
OpenStreetMap RDC
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team