> In the same way a path may be a significant transportation route for a
village or small town but it cannot be highway=unclassified or
highway=tertiary because of the construction class that limits vehicles.

My thoughts have always been if the settlement  has a metal roof then a
truck or cart must have delivered it.  This means it used the highway
connecting which suggests an unclassified rather than a path.  My
understanding is small motorcycles are popular so do these use highways
that are paths or unclassified?

I would tend to use residential for streets within a settlement that are
not through highways.

Cheerio John