In the UK at the end of the evening there is a well known phrase used in
places that serve alcohol.

"Time gentlemen please."

The post that set this off had an element of frustration and it was
unfortunate that the subject was a sensitive one at that time.  With a bit
of good will it could have been accepted as such.

All programmers know that unless it is a one man band they write to the
specs and if a feature wasn't included in the specs then its wrong to blame
the programmer.  I used to be one and I recall once when asked why wasn't a
feature included by a high level manager and I had to reply I specifically
asked if it should be but was told by the business contact no it was not to
be included.

There is a cultural difference between HOT and OSM.  I seem to recall once
someone from an NGO say they didn't need OSM mappers they could provide
their own in maperthons.

If HOT and OSM can work together then there are gains for both sides.

Armchair mapping is only good to drop in the basic outlines.  HOT projects
are reasonably good at dropping in a highway network and identifying
settlements.  It really does need local expertise to finish the job.  So
micro grants, training on the ground all help and hopefully we'll start to
see a few internet cafes and bicycle repair shops mapped which is normal
OSM style mapping that gets enriched over time.

Can we accept there are some differences and please move on.  Can we work
on finding some areas where we agree?

Thanks John