Yes, I am using  --enable-hpijs-only-build, but also printer status and
bi-di comm are used by default by HPIJS for this printer.
Then, I link all of the HPIJS object files into a static library and
then with my app.
BTW, I link libusb also for other devices that the application uses
(i.e. USB drives).

For HPIJS, I first call usb_find_busses, ubs_find_devices, usb_open,
usb_claim_interface, usb_set_altinterface, and after done, I call
usb_release_interface, usb_close.
Are you saying I do not need to do all that?

The SYSTEM_ERROR is returned by constructor of Job class and is defined
in APDK documentation.
I think you maybe thinking about HPIJS server which I do not use.
I use hplip-2.7.7/prnt/hpijs code by itself.

I guess it is possible that I call usb_close while the buffered data is
still being transmitted.
I would expect usblib to take care of this and hpijs to work properly
with it.
I thought that when SendRasters returns, it is OK call NewPage() and to
close usb.

Martin