On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 15:37 +0200, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> >    1. Made a change to 55-hpmud.rules ...
>
> I do not understand why there is OWNER="lp" in 55-hpmud.rules.
>
> When the owner is lp, then any CUPS filter script or backend
> can change the permissions as it likes, for example via
> http://www.cups.org/str.php?L790
>
> With the default MODE="0666" there is not much to change for
> a possible attacker but think about that the admin may have
> specified a more restrictive mode but forgot to also change
> the owner to root.
>
> To be more on the safe side, I would like to have
> OWNER="root", GROUP="lp", MODE="0666" by default for openSUSE.

For a solution to this problem that does not allow arbitrary write
access, but instead constrains access to (a) the print spooler and (b)
the console user(s), please see my write-up of how we approached HPLIP
device permissions for Fedora 8:

http://cyberelk.net/tim/2007/10/04/hplip-device-permissions-with-consolekit/

Tim.
*/