Hello,

On Oct 23 15:19 Tim Waugh wrote (shortened):
> For a solution to this problem that does not allow arbitrary write
> access, but instead constrains access to (a) the print spooler and (b)
> the console user(s), please see my write-up of how we approached HPLIP
> device permissions for Fedora 8:
>
> http://cyberelk.net/tim/2007/10/04/hplip-device-permissions-with-consolekit/

Looks similar to our "resmgr" which we use currently but only
for HP all-in-one devices, see in

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=Pine.LNX.4.64.0707040850200.22081%40nelson.suse.de

in the section regarding "controllable permissions" item c).

For the upcomming openSUSE 11.0 I will use "resmgr" also for
plain printers (to make device status available for the "console user")
and fortunately we now have the USB device IDs so that it is possible
to have it set up correctly out of the box.

But I still wonder if perhaps mode 0666 is o.k. for HP USB
printers and all-in-one devices if eavesdropping is not
possible with MODE="0666".

E.g. because for each device IO the hpmud library tries to open it
only exclusively so that eiher an existing eavesdropper is noticed
and hpmud would not open it, or after the exclusive open via hpmud
no additional open by an eavesdropper is possible.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex