Thanks Dave. It's a very subtle thing, but it is one of the more serious
accessibility gaffs guaranteed to have me shouting at the computer, if I
haven't already got a sore throat from shouting at the Today programme.

Unfortunately HTML5 has introduced some 'interesting' accessibility
gaffs. But at least these days people are not using tables to format Web
content. Tables are for tabular data. Libraries like bootstrap are
fantastic now for responsive Web content that works right on all types
of screen.

On 25/08/2020 14:50, Dave Morriss wrote:
> On 25/08/2020 12:59, Mike Ray wrote:
>> Little windows that come up when the mouse hovers over, tool tips you
>> could call them, are worse than useless, since blind folks mostly do not
>> use the mouse.
>>
>> Most screen readers have a keyboard way of moving the mouse pointer to
>> where the virtual review cursor is, and then simulating a left or right
>> click with the keyboard, but these little hovers do not show up. It may
>> be a setting in my screen reader, but those things are distracting.
>>
>> Better to link as much of the sentence is necessary to describe where
>> the link goes instead of just 'here'.
>>
>> I think it is bootstrap that provides a 'popper' to do the little tool
>> tips, but again, pretty useless for us.
>
> OK, that's what I wanted to know. Titles are just for pop-ups and aren't
> useful for screen readers.
>
> I won't stop using them but will try and make the link text more
> meaningful in stuff that I write.
>
>> I am doing this from memory, but I think markdown is something like:
>>
>> [Find the Template manual here][tt]
>>
>> And then:
>>
>> [tt]: <url>
>>
>> That would work better than:
>>
>> Find the Template manual [here][tt]
>>
>> Because again that will create a link that just says 'here'.
>
> You are correct, that's how it's done. It's a useful feature for me
> because I can make several references to the same link, but I take the
> point that the link text is the key part for blind users.
>
> Dave

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

https://cromarty.github.io/
http://eyesfreelinux.ninja/
http://www.raspberryvi.org/