On 24/08/2020 17:25, Mike Ray wrote:
> Hello guys and gals,
>
> I'm currently working on a project using Template::Toolkit, and finding
> Dave's show notes on this subject very useful.

Hi Mike,

Glad my Template::Toolkit stuff has proven useful. I use it daily since
it's behind the notes for all my shows and quite a number of other
document generation tasks I carry out.

> I have a small favour to ask with reference to writing show notes and
> accessibility for those of us using screen readers.
>
> All the screen readers I use have 'landmark' navigation keys.
>
> Typically one can press a particular key and jump between HTML tags.
>
> For example, I can jump from link-to-link using NVDA in Windows with the
> 'k' key.
>
> And here is the accessibility bit.
>
> If the page is sprinkled with this kind of thing:

> href="page">here</a></p>
>
> If I jump to that link, my screen reader says 'here'.  Well, what is here?
>
> Better to write it:

> here</a></p>
>
> Markdown allows that kind of thing too.

Guilty as charged!

I usually try not to do this but I realise I have some boilerplate files
that contain the Markdown equivalent. I know it's generally bad form but
I could not have said exactly why until I read your email.

I shall desist henceforward.

Regards,
Dave