Voice three, for sure.

I used to provide tech support to some people who used speech readers. One fellow (who probably listened at 3x to 4x) needed some help, but he didn't use a video monitor at all. There was no way I could make out what was happening by listening to the synth voice, so I asked if I could use a video monitor. "Sure", he said. "A video monitor is just an assistive device for the visually dependent!"

--Bob.

On 2022-01-11 13:09, Ken Fallon wrote:
Hi Mike,

As a TTS engine for reading the screen back to me I am more than happy with it and use it continually during the day. It's not just visually impaired people that rely on TTS. It does that job and does it well.

The objection I have to using espeak as the voice of HPR is that it is harsh, unfriendly and not welcoming, its so bad in fact that it makes kids cry. I speak from personal experience. When my kids were small I made a project based on espeak (in English) for them to interact with. It was a disaster. When the espeak voice started speaking they got scared, started to cry, ran away, and never wanted to have anything to do with it again.

Over the years the biggest objection to the TTS on HPR has been the espeak voice. It has also been the biggest point of negative feedback I get when trying to promote HPR to potential interviewees or projects.

If those are not valid enough reasons then I don't know what will convince you. I can also assure you my desktop wallpaper is the default supplied with my distro.

In the past it has been argued that the more natural voices are difficult to understand when sped up. So I took the two most natural voices from the list and posted a side by side comparison to espeak at 150%, 200%, 250%,  300%, 350%, 400%, 450%, and 500%. In my opinion the coqui-tts_en_en_ljspeech is more understandable than espeak at every speed.

Can everyone have a listen to this and tell me your preference
https://hackerpublicradio.org/tts-espeak-ljspeech-vctk-normal-150-200-250-300-350-400-450-500-percent.ogg

Ken.