On Sun, 2020-05-03 at 16:39 +0200, Paweł Adamski wrote:
> Hi
> My name is Paweł. I'm an author of the library for easy mocking
> HttpClient
> ( https://github.com/PawelAdamski/HttpClientMock ). I would like to
> ask
> about your opinion wherever it would be a good idea to include it as
> an
> official library for testing code using HttpClient?
> I see that a lot of other libraries and frameworks already do that.
> For
> example, every Spring project has an additional component that helps
> write test code (e.g. @WebMvcTest, @DataJpaTest, @SpringBootTest).
>
> My project has an API similar to the Mockito. First, you have to set
> up how
> the HttpClient should behave, and then you can replay that behavior.
> There
> is also a possibility to verify if calls have been really made.
>
> If you think it is worth making my project an official mocking
> library for
> HttpClient, I would appreciate all information about the next steps I
> should take to make it happen.
>
> I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
> Regards
> Paweł Adamski

Hi Paweł

There is already some sort of testing support module in HttpCore and
HttpClient which I imagine could host mocking and assert support
classes as well.

There is a problem however exemplified by the same testing module. It
contains a testing framework contributed some while ago by an external
contributor [1]. The original contributor lost any further interest in
that code pretty much immediately after it had been accepted into the
project and walked away.

Now I have no idea what we ought to do about that testing code. I have
no idea if there are any external projects using it. It appears to be
dead weight for the project.

My first question is quite simple. How likely you are going to stick
around after having your library folded into HttpClient?

Oleg

[1]

https://github.com/apache/httpcomponents-core/tree/master/httpcore5-testing/src/main/java/org/apache/hc/core5/testing/framework