Yuval Levy kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 2.
elokuuta 2009):
> I think we're almost on the same page for this. In FreeBSD
> /usr is the base system and /usr/local is everything that the
> user added on top of it, and I like it exactly because "you
> can always `rm -rf /usr/local`".

You can't do that any more if any rpm/deb package installs
anything in /usr/local or the package management system breaks.
(at least rpm does, I don't know the details of dpkg).

> Hence I would never publish packages that install somewhere
> else but /usr/local.

Like Bruno already explained, the above is the reason why you
should never publish packages that install anything
_in_ /usr/local. Use /opt if you are really opposed to
installing in /usr.

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kol...@iki.fi