Hi.

Way back in the day (0.7.x), one could hand hold a camera, and take a
pano, hugin would stitch it togather, not perfectly, but well enough to
get a decent photo to view.  An example of this would be:

http://www.tatteredmoons.org/pano/20080601-7/20071005-bur_oak_trail_rock.jpg

there are others in my stash of course, with much larger FOV.

Recently an acquaintance asked me to look at a set of photos to see if
Hugin could stitch them together.  When I came out with garbage using a
clean build on Ubuntu from 20100730 here is the result:

good match == green bar
http://www.tatteredmoons.org/hugin/screenshots/Screenshot-3.png

alignment shows 2.3 good fit
http://www.tatteredmoons.org/hugin/screenshots/Screenshot-4.png

result
http://www.tatteredmoons.org/hugin/screenshots/Screenshot-5.png

optimization error of 5000+
http://www.tatteredmoons.org/hugin/screenshots/Screenshot-6.png

As you can tell, after the optimization, things went haywire.

My next question was, could another program do what Hugin couldn't do?
Below is the result of AutoPano Pro.  Worked out of the box.  I've not
tried any others yet.

http://www.tatteredmoons.org/hugin/screenshots/Screenshot-7.png
http://www.tatteredmoons.org/hugin/test/ceiling.jpg

So, using the same CPD (autopano-sift-c) we assume that it's finding
similar points, and doing a similar job.  What is going wrong at the
alignment/optimizer stage.

My binaries i used for hugin are located here:

http://www.tatteredmoons.org/hugin/deb/ubuntu/10.04/20100730-hugin_deb.html

which I built according to the wiki for Ubuntu builds located here

http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Compiling_Ubuntu

Test images & pto file are located here

http://www.tatteredmoons.org/hugin/test/test.html