On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 18:15:11 -0400, Yuval Levy wrote:

> I start to understand.  And I have the impression that you're the
> kind of user that will be better off with more control over the
> process rather than with a black box whose output is obviously not
> satisfying you.

Yep, when I know what's going on underneath so that if I know that if
I do X then Y will happen.

> As suggested in my previous post, start by merging the stacks.
> align_image_stack is good for both your scenarios and more:
>
> 1. fused image
> align_image_stack -a pre1 exposure[1-3].jpg
> enfuse -o image1.jpg pre1*

...and at some point in there fine tune the stack -- I shot it
hand-held and even with 8 fps there's some motion.

> 2. merged HDR image
> align_image_stack -o image1.hdr exposure[1-3].jpg
>
> 3. diagnostic info (a pto file)
> align_image_stack -p image1.pto exposure[1-3].jpg

OK.

> On October 23, 2010 03:36:45 pm Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> This wound up being a big headache; the aligned image stacks didn't
>> contain any EXIF data to let anything figure out the HFOV.
>
> use exiftool to copy the relevant EXIF tag from one input exposure to its
> target image.
>
> I recommend LuminanceHDR or Krita to open/edit/view the HDR files,
> and pfstools to manipulate them from the command line.

I'm getting garbage from HDR files (even 8-bit HDR files).  It looks
largely like noise, with some areas that vaguely look like they make
sense.

> At this point, judge if the merge makes sense and fix it before
> proceeding.  If the alignment is not completely satisfying, open the
> pto file ("diagnostic" variant above) in Hugin and try to improve
> from there.  Good luck (as in: it is most likely that the input
> exposures are too far apart to be ever properly aligned).

I was afraid of that, but that wasn't the case.  Some spots don't line
up, but as long as I ignore those few spots, I'm doing OK.

>> I will give that a try.
>
> I don't know how proficient and how patient you are, but if these
> are your first projects you have taken a rather difficult approach /
> a steep learning curve.  I'd recommend mastering the individual
> steps of exposure fusion; exposure merge into HDR; and stitching of
> a single exposure panorama; before going all the way to the complex
> and perfect result you are trying to achieve.  You can use a subset
> of your current input images.  Once you master the tools your
> experience will be more rewarding.

I've done a few panoramas before, but never fusing or HDR.  I got a
bit more ambitious on this vacation :-)

I'm willing to accept incremental improvements over time, but I'm
trying to understand what's going on here.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <r...@alum.mit.edu>

--Eric Crampton