Not as complicated as one might seem.  There are many programs that ask
for table sizes.  This is essentially a table

Dialog:

How many rows & columns
Which direction
Etc.

The other option is to present a table layout.  It's then easy to mark
each cell in the table as row/column, set the direction, set the
starting row, etc.  Rows with different number of photos sets would have
empty cells where the rows were shorter.

Comparison is a good measuring stick to be subject to, unless the
project is so creative and so groundbreaking it becomes the measuring
stick.

Even the simplest stitchers have layout options, direction, rotation,
etc.

Dale