On 13 Feb., 11:13, Jeffrey Martin <360cit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking also...
>
> for panos, the centers of images usually do not overlap.
> isn't searching the WHOLE of images a big waste?

It seems wasteful, but you also have to consider the time you have to
invest to pre-position the images roughly so the ROI can be detected
as roughly that area where the pre-aligned images overlap - and the
time it takes to extract/mask the ROI. Scanning the whole image
assures that the images can be positioned and oriented in any way and
all overlaps will be found.

There is another aspect which becomes more important with fisheyes and
stereographic images: if you feed the CPG with a partial image, it
can't decipher the warp to adapt it's feature point detector: the
image geometry is quite different from center to margin. So you can't
just use partial images, but you have to use the whole images and mask
them appropriately. Masking means introduction of additional data into
the process, either in the shape of a separate mask or as an alpha
channel. Using an alpha channel might be a reasonalbly inexpensive and
transparent (hah) way of doing the needful, but I'm not sure if the
current CPGs honour alpha channels - I rather doubt it.

Finally, if you use a reasonable overlap of 30% and calculate how much
of your images is left over in areas which are not overlapping, you
may find out that these areas are quite small after all, since the
overlap is on all margins. Even with 25% overlap, much less than half
of the image is outside overlaps.

If you take all of this into account, I think the gain is not worth
the effort for everyday work. On the other hand, there may be special
situations where the savings would be significant. To cater for these,
the mechanism of limiting the scan for feature points to a ROI should
be available as an optional feature. In fact, this sounds like an
ideal scenario for a plugin. I'd expect stuff like this to be among
the first things to be implemented as a plugin as soon as the plugin
facility becomes maintream (currently verification of the implemented
mechanism on Mac OS is pending, but I hope it won't be too much
longer).

I am currently toying with this mechanism for use in another demo
plugin, but I want to throw in rewarping of the parts of the images
that correspond to the ROIs to a common projection to make them
geometrically as similar as possible, thus improving CPG performance
especially with fisheye images and avoiding warp-related CPG problems
- some sort of high-end matching which would produce very good
quality, well-distributed CPs, particularly for applications like lens
calibration. Also, it would be nice to get quick access to the warped
partial images for visual inspection.

To put a final tag on it - nice to have, but not crucial.

Kay