Mea Culpa.

Can you please remove this posting.  I, in no way, intended to cross-
post the same content to the two groups.  The problem is that when
composing a long replay [or maybe the problem is just my long-
windedness], when you get to the end to hit the Post button, you get
notified that your session has expired.  So, since it has happened to
me twice today, at least I had a copy, but when I relogged in, I was
in the other browser in the other group.  Sorry, sorry, please
delete.  Thanks for the help on a complex problem from both group of
scholars.

Terry Corbet

On Mar 5, 12:23 am, tcorbet <[email protected]> wrote:
> 01.  I am restarting, hopefully for the benefit of all concerned.  The
> first thread has lots of problems, most of which are attributable to
> my poor understanding of the basic terminology, methodologies and
> fundamental algorithms that are both at the heart of PTGui [and its
> sister products] and quite obviously at the heart of those of you who
> have devoted so much professional time and energy to getting the suite
> of capabilities that are 'out there'.
>
> I have also -- certainly from the standpoint of this specific forum --
> somewhat compounded the problem by mixing observations as between
> different product implementations.  While I apologize for that, as it
> was clearly done to provide perspective, it can inflame passions.  On
> the other hand, since I have been pursuing the same challenge on the
> Hugin forum, mostly because of the high degree of cross-pollination
> that obviously [and quite helpfully, by the way] exists between the
> two products, I know that coming at the problem from two points of
> view has helped me sort through some of the issues which are generic.
>
> 02.  So, let me relaunch the already helpful dialog with a new summary
> that will be clearer because quite a few of you have actually looked
> at the source images and now have a first-hand feel for the extent to
> which they pose a similar and the extent to which they pose a rather
> different challenge than what appears to be the sort of canonical set
> of issues for those dealing with DSLR cameras and manual, semi-
> automated, or almost-completely-automated tripod rigs designed
> primarily for the creation of panoramas.
>
> The first thing that everyone notices is that despite a remarkable
> achievement of hand-drawing, these images, in many respects are not as
> "nicely behaved" as those you would get from the aforesaid, multi-
> snapshot, automated tripod rig.  That said, as I previously alluded, I
> have been able to get a working set [of a 4x4 case] using Photoshop
> and purely manual placement that is very, very good.  Now, I had not
> previously known how to show you that, but there have been two helpful
> suggestions.  First, while I have continued to work with uncompressed
> inputs and outputs, it would be possible for me to rework the
> Photoshop workflow with compressed images.  That would, of course,
> cause some loss of precision, but I would be willing to do that if it
> would be the least difficult way to provide all interested parties
> with a result set that would be a little larger than usually chokes
> most mail servers, but less than the maximum I can send via my
> YouSendIt account.  Alternatively Jeff has taught me about the
> WeTransfer site, and from trying that I know that I can successfully
> upload the 320MB Photoshop tif composite [in about 3.5 hours of slow
> uplink speed from my ISP.]  That, then is my first action item:  those
> of you who would be interested in having an example of a successful
> merge of this content, please give me an email address that I can use
> to have WeTransfer notify you when the file is available for your
> downloadl.
>
> 02.  Let me move from there to a revised statement of what I think my
> challenge is with either PTGui or Hugin.  And to explain why I am
> introducing Hugin, it's because half of the original responders to my
> request here took umbrage with my short-shrifting of their product.
> Moreover, for the last 24 hours persons who actively post to both
> sites have been very helpful in trying to find a methodology for
> configuring the parameters of that product to correctly perform the
> transformation.  And I believe I am correct in stating that the
> parameters of their engine are almost identical to yours, so while the
> specifics of how to 'fool the engine into doing the right thing'
> probably differ, upon review of the various opinions from various,
> conscientious, helpful, knowledgeable persons, I think they are
> probably identical at the conceptual model level.
>
> So, let me first dare to disagree with the opinion that the set of
> images are "not shots of one drawing".  I believe that, in contrast to
> what happens when a single camera takes multiple of shots of a scene
> without changing its XYZ coordinates on the planet, the result of this
> super-human drawing effort results in precisely one image, not the
> patchwork of images that would result from a camera.  What is
> different about those 104 plates is that if they were placed on the
> floor of a basketball court, but instead of letting the small [about
> 1/4 inch] of overlap exist, you took out your box cutter and precisely
> trimmed them to eliminate overlap, to people sitting in the bleachers,
> the scene total would be displayed almost perfectly.
>
> There are not slightly different rotational angles and slightly
> different azimuthal elevations -- they did not have a camera, they had
> an arbitrary point and, in effect, drew the proper perspective to each
> building that they carefully sketched at the proper location on what
> could have been a single sheet of paper.  Now, since there was no such
> huge sheet of paper, rather there was the need to prepare material
> that could be published in book format, they carefully, created each
> independent patch, always doing whatever was humanly possible to
> adhere to the proper projection from that single, unmoving point of
> origin.
>
> Now, to the statements that the images are of different sizes, yes
> they are.  And I suspect that the differences were compounded by the
> photo-lithographic process of producing the plates.  There were, very
> probably some differences in the height to the camera used for
> photographing the plates, and there were probably some differences in
> the exact dimensions of the bounding rectangle into which each plate
> drawing had been made by the artist.  All that notwithstanding, I
> think that in your terminology the result is in the range of 'parallax
> error' that your software deals with in the case of cameras that are
> hand held or otherwise imprecisely rotated during the photographic
> process.  What I can say, but more importantly, what I can demonstrate
> with the sample that I want to send you, is that the manual,
> interactive stitching of "control points" deduced by Photoshop as a
> result of my placement of overlaps via onion skinning, in more than
> 90% of the cases results in an almost perfect match when I release the
> mouse button to allow "Jump to Image".  In about 5% of the cases, the
> disproportionate overlay has no 'best fit', so I turn off "Jump to
> Image" to make a human judgment of how to deal with the ambiguity
> between the two layers that need to be blended along that common
> edge.  In the final result, this source of 'noise' or error is far
> less noticeable than the problem I have with some images that I
> cropped too closely, such that there are one or more pixel rows
> completely missing along some edge.  I am ever hopeful of getting
> PTGui's workflow to the point where I can see and attempt to deal with
> that problem of "holes".  The Photoshop batch process goes into some
> sort of "erasing hole" mode and fills in the missing pixels with some
> very acceptable mirage!
>
> 03.  As I am the neophyte, I have to leave to your better judgment as
> to what to do.  I very much appreciate the recommendation to crop the
> images and just make them sit close to one another, but I am not ready
> to give up.  Again, I need to send you my intermediate results.  The
> sources from the LoC were cropped only insofar as eliminating the
> borders to get a solid inside rectangle.  As mentioned, in most cases,
> that still leaves about a quarter inch that the engineer/architect/
> artists wisely duplicated as between adjacent plates.  it is entirely
> possible to recreate a single image so that my viewers [who, by the
> way will be sitting at an AIR application taking advantage of
> Zoomify's ability to deal with tiled content of this sort] will be
> able to 'walk down broadway from one end to the other seemlessly'.
>
> So, back to my learning lessons of the last couple of days.  The key
> issues seem to be:
>
>     A.  Whatever facilities exist for "photometric rationalizaton",
> they need to be turned off.  There is no need, nor desire to try to
> reconcile the obvious difference in the brightness or darkness of the
> sepia images.  If there is a nice way to do that later, I will come
> back to it later, but every attempt I have seen so far, produces
> almost useless changes of that sort.  My users will simply have to
> deal with the fact that while they are 'walking down broadway'
> sometimes the sun goes behind a cloud, sometimes a tall building shuts
> out the sunlight -- no problem in 1874.
>
>    B.  There seem to be two different ideas as to how to set the
> parameters dealing with horizontal view or whatever the equivalent is
> to the optical differences between a telephoto lens, and wide-angle
> lens, or perhaps a micro lens.  [Sorry, I am still happy with my Nikon
> Photomic F, and till in debt for lenses that cost $300 in the sixties,
> so I am not ready to even look at B&H to learn what a great job I
> could do with an equivalent digital lens that costs as much as my car
> did in the sixties.]  An original suggestion here was to create the
> smallest possible field of view.  I think that idea stems from the
> behavior that might be expected from placing the plates under a bed
> scanner.  The problem, I think, with that idea is that when I go to
> the library and attempt to use a Size A4 bed for some topographic map
> that probably is at least a yard square is that what I am imaging has
> no perspective.  Each image is really discrete and the result can be
> stitched by aligning the correct pieces, sans overlap.  That is not
> how these 104 patches came into being.  As I said, there never was one
> basketball court sized sheet of paper that you might just break up
> into A4 sheets of paper.  Here, each A4 sheet represents a different
> angular displacement in space from that single point of view two miles
> across ...
>
> read more »

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Hugin and other free panoramic software" group.
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: 
http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hugin-ptx

Reply via email to