Hi,
I've shot 20 panos so far and Hugin is my tool of choice for
assembling them.
A couple of them that have been shot in HDR and successfully assembled
are giving me challenges when stitching.
68 the photos were shot using a calibrated Manfrotto spherical pano
head with a wide angle (not fisheye lens)
The photos were taken with fixed ISO and white balance plus manual
exposure. I had +-2EV bracketing enabled.
These two 'problem' panoramas have an interesting characteristic in
common.
They included a sunrise (bright) and full shadow areas (dark). The
darkest shot containing the sun had good exposure. However this meant
that the darkest shots of shadow areas have poor exposure. This means
completely black but but with lots of noise. That's OK through because
the brightest bracket of the dark areas is well exposed.
To remove unwanted noise from my photos I removed the underexposed
black photos from the Hugin panorama.
Every area has at least one well exposed photo.

When I stitch, the process fails at the HDR merge step without any
message.
When I enable "blended layers of similar exposure" I can see the
images of the three exposure layers correctly blended. The darkest one
has holes in it where I removed the shots mentioned above.

For the HDR merger I tried both with and without the option to use
pixels from all images (on the stitcher tab). It gives the same
result.
Once I solve this I will do an HDR toning step in Photoshop or HDR
Pro.

Also, Photoshop won't create an HDR merge of the exposure layers. I
think it dislikes the gaps in the dark layer where there are pixels in
the other layers.

Does anyone have a workaround or solution to this?