On Jul 14, 5:39 am, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> On July 12, 2011 11:18:21 pm Karmadillo wrote:
>
> > the photos were shot using a calibrated Manfrotto spherical pano
> > head
>
> so if you take a single bracket, the photos are perfectly overlapping?  no
> need for alignment?
>
> > When I stitch, the process fails at the HDR merge step without any
> > message.
>
> I do not understand this statement.  Can you be more precise?  Can you copy
> the log that is printed in the window while stitching before it fails?  Can
> you post the .pto and .mk files for the project?
>
> > Does anyone have a workaround or solution to this?
>
> If the photos inside each bracket are perfectly aligned, use pfstools or
> similar to merge single brackets into single HDR shots and stitch the single
> HDR shots with Hugin.  If they need alignment, you can run them first by
> Luminance HDR (which happens to use Hugin's align_image_stack) to align the
> brackets and create the individual HDR shots, to be merged into a panorama.
>
> Yuv
>
>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

All photos in each stack are perfectly aligned.
I've successfully stitched spherical Panos using the technique you
describe: make HDR shots and stitch them.
Most recently this one:
http://www.360cities.net/image/sydney-opera-house-and-circular-quay-australia
However creating HDR images first has some drawbacks such as lack of
control point finders that work on HDR images, limitations in
Photoshop editing, manual control of ghosting, higher memory use and
slower previews.
In the example above, the saturation is poor compared to stitching LDR
images, despite boosting it 80%.

So I was curious about the possibility of stitching from 8 or 16 bit
brackets.

The files can be accessed here:
PTO:
http://df.arcs.org.au/quickshare/f4d272b741dd6f13/Canon%20linear%20no%20nadirs.pto
PTO.MK:
http://df.arcs.org.au/quickshare/4fda0419859f2685/Canon%20linear%20no%20nadirs.pto.mk
Failure mode: 100% black HDR image is created:
http://df.arcs.org.au/quickshare/5b8581e69ba107ed/Canon%20linear%20no%20nadirs_hdr.tif
The log shows no errors:
http://df.arcs.org.au/quickshare/61afd6275842962a/Canon%20linear%20no%20nadirs_2.log

Here are the stitched exposure layers produced during the make
process:
http://df.arcs.org.au/quickshare/8f49e98387ee53f6/Canon%20linear%20no%20nadirs_exposure_0000.tif
http://df.arcs.org.au/quickshare/23d5395bf8c5e3ac/Canon%20linear%20no%20nadirs_exposure_0001.tif
http://df.arcs.org.au/quickshare/8c825e650a1c5f8/Canon%20linear%20no%20nadirs_exposure_0002.tif