If I don't misunderstand your post . . .
Yes, one wants a level horizon, but the horizon is an imaginary line
and is only evident in certain perfect situations without obstructions
(flat desert, seascape, etc.) In most natural situations like
landscapes, the viewer's senses are not greatly offended by a slightly
misaligned horizon and it can estimated and adjusted without
difficulty. The manmade environment, where most pictures are taken, is
positively chock full of obviously vertical and horizontal lines. When
all these cues do not align properly it is can be offensively obvious
and discordant, so you want them to be properly aligned. in a
rectilinear projection, only a vertical line always appears vertical
and straight (like the longitude lines on a globe.) The only
horizontal line that is level and straight is the horizon (which
really isn't a line at all since it's theoretical projection and is
actually a huge circle. All the truly straight, non vertical lines
actually appear slightly curved, to a greater or lesser extent. The
only horizontal lines that appear close to straight are on objects
that directly face the viewer, and only those that happen to be
coincident with the horizon, and these only over a short distance.
(Sorry if I have misunderstood and I'm stating the obvious to you.)

I suppose the proposed new Apple Inc. campus building (which will be
huge and round with a round courtyard in the middle) would offer an
opportunity to use horizontals for alignment. :-)
http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/design/2011/8/apple_city_rendering_1.jpg