TIFF is not as good as EXR in my circumstances due to its file size
restrictions.
Because EXR is the native format within Hugin for HDR work, I am
trying to do an EXR > EXR > EXR process.
The 4GB file size restriction of TIFF is more significant for HDR
imagery - and it means that the final tomemapped output is retricted
to about 1.2GB in my experience.

So let me rephrase my original question.
How to do I generate HDR EXR stitiched panoramas from HDR EXR input
images using Hugin while avoiding the TIFF file format?