On Tue 11-Sep-2012 at 13:09 +0200, Rogier Wolff wrote:
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:38:55AM +0100, Bruno Postle wrote:

Artificially 'sharpened' images are a special case, you don't find
this kind of data in 'normal' photos, these don't really suffer any
loss of focus in the standard remapping used by Hugin.

IMHO, when I click "optimal size" it recommends a size where each
source pixel maps to at least one remapped pixel. Bluntly said: If I
take three portrait 2500x4000 images and align them next to each
other, my "optimal size" will have a height of 4000 pixels (plus
whatever is needed because they don't align perfectly).

In this situation, I have the impression I can clearly see that the
remapped images are softer, fuzzier than the originals.

Are these photos sharpened?

You can see this effect by drawing a one pixel line in an image, then remapping it in Hugin, it will become 'fuzzy', but remap it again and it won't get any fuzzier. Real, unsharpened, photos don't have hard edges like this, there is always a transition between two colours - This is nothing to do with the quality of the lens.

--
Bruno