Dear Matija Kogoj

On 23.02.2017 13:20, Matija Kogoj wrote:
> ***Problem 1*:
> There are about 22 tiff photographs taken with a gopro; lot of snow,
> treelines in medium range. The images load normally and camera data is
> read - about 3mm focal length at 5 crop factor.

>From your description I conclude that you have left hugin in its default
mode (Interface -> Simple). I doubt that this mode is sufficient for the
type of panorama you want to achieve.

Please switch to expert mode and create a new project.

Then use the "Add images .." button to add your images to the project.

The next step would be to set the stack size. Right-click into the list
of images and select Stacks -> Set stacks size. Here, you have to set
the "Link positions of each image in Stack", too: If your images were
shot on a sturdy tripod and you are sure that the stacks do not need
additional alignment, you can set this tick mark, otherwise remove it.

Next step is to create control points. However, I assume that Hugin's
CPFind somehow takes the lens type into account, at least I get much
better results for my samyang images when setting the lens type to
Stereogrphich instead of the default Normal (rectilinear). I have no
idea what lens type you used, so you may have to google this or
experiment with the various options. In any case, make sure you select
all the images and then set the lens type properly if it is not set so
already.

Clicking on "Create control points" finishes this step. Now it would be
a good time to save your project.

I normally then move to the Optimize step. First, I do "Positions
(incremental, starting from anchor)", then "Positions and view
(y,p,r,v)". This would be another good point in time to save your
project, by the way.

Afterwards, I do a first rough pruning of the control points. For this,
I press F3, then "Select by distance" and accept whatever Hugin
suggests. Pressing the delete key gets rid of the control points that
lay outside of the value chosen. I may have to repeat the Align and
Delete steps a couple of times until the maximum distance is below 5 or
2, or 10, or .. This really depends on the quality of the shots and the
number of control pints I get. You will need to leave enough control
points so all your images stay connected, but the more outliers you can
eliminate, the better the panorama will turn out.

Afterwards, I set the geometric optimization to "Everything without
translation" and repeat the optimizing and pruning until the maxiumun
distance is below 1.0.

Next step would be to run the Photometric optimizer. When doing HDR, one
of the "High dynamic range" settings is recommended.

If this is not a full sphere panorama, some fiddling with output
projection type, centring, fitting, straightening and cropping is
required next.

Then, we switch to the stitcher tab and define the output image type we
would lie to get. Press Stitch! and enjoy!

 Clicking align always
> leaves out at least one image.

I can not comment on this as I never use simple mode. However, the last
image just may not get any control points, so it is being ignored by hugin.

 After I assign control points and click
> align again something weird happens every time. Links will be active for
> about 6 months.
>
> http://pasteall.org/pic/index.php?id=112887

According to the statistical values displayed in the upper right corner,
this pano either was not optimized properly or the control point
generator was thrown off by the snow. Can you provide a link to the
tiffs and the pto somewhere so we can have a look?

> http://pasteall.org/pic/index.php?id=112888

This I can not diagnose, I suppose a developer with windows development
tools may be able to do so, Again, if the pto and the images would
available, this would be helpful.

> I noticed that I can drag images by clicking on the sphere. If I try to
> do that in this case an unhandled, unknown exception message pops up. I
> can ignore, abort or retry, though no change happens.

Dragging images around in a botched pto can lead to severe geometrical
problems that may not be handled properly because nobody tested this
specific situation. And I have never been able to get a proper panorama
when trying to move images around.

> ***Problem 2:*
> Alignment doesn't work. Project is the same - 22 tiff files, 3 layers of
> exposure, 6-7 stacks.
> Stacks don't align automatically, and after putting them into groups
> manually they still often form 0 new control points (CPFind nor
> align_image_stack)

Please see above.

> After assigning a few of my own control points the software still finds
> no others by itself.

If the lens type in your project does not match the physical lens type,
things like this can happen. Additionally, for an algorithm, it is very
hard to find control points in images mostly containing snow. But
without being able to have a vclose look at the images and the ptos,
this is ll speculation.

> If project watered down to 6 images in cylindrical projection with no
> stacks still no effect.
> Does drag/move tab have any relevance for finding control points?

No, not that I'd know.

> ***Feature requests:
> *First let me say that I know how much work goes into implementing new
> features.  wish I could code them myself but I'm not good at it.
> Regardless, most of these are things I grew frustrated with after doing
> the same thing for the seventh time, and I believe that it could make
> use of Hugin much easier, potentially expanding the audience. At the
> very least I have not met many who know about it even though, as I said,
> it used to be better than Photoshop.*

What feature exactly are you requesting here?

With kind regards

Stefan Peter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.