One situation I encountered: I got terrible OCR results when I scanned
at 600dpi, great results on the same pages scanned at 300dpi. They were
clean pages, though, so I didn't have to do any cleaning.

Once I had the impression that some OCRs don't believe letters can be
this big [measured in pixels] if the scan is at a high enough resolution.

Tesseract explicitly says that it is geared towards 300 dpi scans.
For other OCR programs, the effect seems similar.

I suspect they're matching raster patterns, not outlines.
Probably because they want to cover 1-bit scans because that's what you get with fax, but I'm just guessing.