Normally if you set the white level low enough that the paper is "white"
and the black level high enough that the letters are completely black and
if you set the scan to 1 bit color depth and tell scantailor to suppress
all speckles that are less than 4 pixels wide png compression should result
in smaller files than a JPEG compression that is lossy enough to produce
ringing at every change from black to white and vice versa.

Jpeg isn't very well-suited for black-and-white, anyway: it first splits
the file into colour and brightness hoping that only one will contain much
data, then optionally leave out 50 or 75% of the color information samples:
in the end only 1 of 4. Camera pixels sees red or blue. Then it will do a
fourier transform and leave out the high frequencies: they are only needed
for sharp edges and 99% of a photo aren't sharp. And then it uses
huffman-coding that makes small numbers shorter than long ones. Most of
these steps aren't perfect for text-only pages.

Kind regards,

  Gunter.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/CAMcFxV2XZ2JPOd%3DqndwOU9JO9mXWCFLepmv2ZjGtb7N-X0MCjQ%40mail.gmail.com.