Why holomorphic?

Because a spherical lens surface parametrised as z(x,y) is holomorphic.
Then light refraction according to Snell's law also gives holomorphic funktions
for the rays. All this if course has a finite convergence radius.

Aspherical corrections are usually even polynomials and hence keep the lens
surface holomorphic.

Of course a random lens surface (Flaschenboden) is not holomorphic let alone
rotationally symmetric.

Now my point is not to throw out parameters a and c. Leave them in for backward
compability. My query is to add two more odd terms. My prediction is that CP
errors will go down significantly.

Fine-tuned CPs are good to about 1/10th of a pixel. This is what I found for my
cameras in the past.

Best regards
Klaus

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/5dab991a-0ea0-4fec-8aee-fafc4f75f70a%40googlegroups.com.