Hallo,

Am Dienstag, 24. Juli 2018 21:56:16 UTC+2 schrieb Torsten Bronger:

> Hallöchen!
>
> klaus...@gmail.com <javascript:> writes:
>
> > I found an old thread on the panotools wiki.
> >
> > https://wiki.panotools.org/User:Klaus/Improving_Hugin
>
> I find the language hard to understand, sorry.  Anyway … what is the
> argument against even exponents?

They introduce a singularity at r=0 (due to the branching point of
sqrt(x=0) for the two-dimensional mapping function.
This singularity causes a rather small radius of convergence.

The problem is not the presence of even exponents. If there were enough odd
exponents, and I think one or two more would make a difference, the fit
would choose coefficient values close to zero for the coefficients of the
even exponents.

> > As long as there is no hard vignetting in the lens, the reasoning
> > should work.
>
> How does the vignetting affect distortion?

Central to my reasoning is that the lens mapping function is holomorphic
over the entire image area.
Starting with geometric optics, ray tracing through a set of lenses gives
an infinitely differentiable function
for every ray specified by start point and direction. This property is
conserved if one selects rays passing through an aperture
in one plane and uses the averaged arrival positions. Here it is key that
integration boundary is not a function of ray angle, or
in other words, a function of arrival point on the image sensor. When
mechanical vignetting occurs, the imaging function is no longer
holomorphic at the boundary of the onset, that means that (higher)
derivatives will no longer be continuous there.

Sorry, that is mathematics heavy, needing a background in complex functions
of two variables.
But it has practical implications.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/0cc33944-0277-42fd-876e-c97daa20556d%40googlegroups.com.