On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 12:12:04 AM UTC-5, Groogle wrote:

> On Wednesday,  5 September 2018 at 12:43:40 -0700, jiang...@gmail.com
> <javascript:> wrote:
> On Wednesday,  5 September 2018 at 12:55:36 -0700, jiang...@gmail.com
> <javascript:> wrote:
>
> Once is enough,especially since you included relatively large images
> (for email).  It would have been better to put all the images on your
> Google Drive page.
>

> I posted it once but didn't see it on the website, so posted it again. I
> realized the post has to be approved after the second try.
>

> > I have 4 pictures taken using canon 5d mark ii and 8mm fisyeye lens.
> files
> > can be found
> > here,
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HpG0k7f9Zg8L-W3fuVrItYqtvZpLNRgY?usp=sharing
>

> > I followed the simple steps on hugin, but the final output looks awful.
> >
> > [image: IMG_0429 - IMG_0432.jpg] <about:invalid#zClosurez>
>
> Indeed, this is not good.  I've put a copy at
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/Photos/20180906/small/IMG_0429---IMG_0432.jpeg
> for anybody who is interested in checking.
>
> > In contrast, ptgui has no major issues at all.
> > [image: IMG_0429 Panorama.jpg] <about:invalid#zClosurez>
>
> This is better, but still not good.  Copy at
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/Photos/20180906/small/IMG_0429-Panorama.jpeg.
> There are clear discontinuities round the frame of the “Chicago"
> poster on the left.
>
> > Can anyone help and tell me what I was doing wrong? and how can I
> > improve the quality?
>
> This is really very puzzling.  I downloaded the images and stitched
> them.  I expected problems, and I got them.  But they were in no way
> related to your problems.  Some look like Hugin bugs:
>
> 1.  The Exif data clearly show:
>
>     File IMG_0429.JPG
>     Date taken:     Friday, 24 August 2018, 21:12:58
>     Exposure:       1/4 sec, f/4.0 (EV 6.0), 29/640 ISO
>     Camera:         Canon Canon EOS 5D Mark II
>     Lens:           Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM
>     Focal length:   8.0 mm (full frame equivalent: 8 mm)
>
>     But Hugin still asks for a crop factor.  That shouldn't be
>     necessary.  I put in 1, of course.  Did you?  That might be part
>     of the problem.

        Yeah, I selected circular fisheye and put 1 for crop factor.

> 2.  I set "circular fisheye" in the Assistant, and it located control
>     points relatively well, a maximum error of 4.6.  But the fast
>     panorama preview looked terrible, full of black:
>     http://www.lemis.com/grog/Photos/20180906/Hugin-1.png.  I tried a
>     normal panorama preview and got the same thing.
>
>         I even manually added couple control points myself, but preview still
looks terrible.
        I thought it might be showing me pre-blending image, so I decided
to stitch it anyway.

> 3.  I stitched the panorama anyway, and got a panorama still with
>     black areas, but not nearly as much:
>
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/Photos/20180906/small/IMG_0429-IMG_0432-2.jpeg
>
> 4.  The disturbance was clearly related to the panorama head reaching
>     into the image, so I masked that off.  And then, without any
>     further problems, I was able to stitch a reasonable panorama:
>     http://www.lemis.com/grog/Photos/20180906/small/IMG_0429-IMG_0432.jpeg.
>
>     Clearly it needs cropping, but I deliberately didn't do so.
>
>         I did crop all the pics, and I the areas left are the same as
ptgui. which left the pano head IN.
        I will try it again to left those out. and I will let you know how
it goes.

All of these images are available at

--
> Sent from my desktop computer.
> Finger groo...@gmail.com <javascript:> for PGP public key.
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.
> This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft mail program
> reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA

Thank you very much Greg!

JJ

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/hugin-ptx/a618413d-0b7f-4665-b367-842f0b3c6a3d%40googlegroups.com.